Friday, January 13, 2012

The Least of These......


As I was attempting to corral the little man, straighten the upstairs, and accomplish a zillion other tasks the doorbell rang. Now we don't know a whole lot of people yet and none who would just stop by unexpectedly so I was a bit frustrated at the interruption to my day.

I opened the door to find a man standing there asking if I would like to buy some Christmas cards. The money would go to the disabled so they wouldn't have to work in the factories. It would provide security and a safe job. It would be a blessing for them to be free from that environment. It would have cost me less than $10 (US). Yet, all I saw was inconvenience. Because this interruption wasn't in my plan the man was turned away. And as I closed the door all I heard in my heart was....

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Ouch. My own hypocrisy stared me in the face. In our family we work diligently to serve those who have less than, who need the extra we can give whether it be time, money, care. But in that moment I chose to turn away a chance to serve because it didn't fit my plan.

If I truly care about those who live in oppression, in poverty, in hopelessness than I need to be willing to move and serve even if it isn't on my to-do list for the day. Being an example to my children, being Christ's hands and feet are some of my deepest desires. And so I must surrender to Christ and His plans even if it looks like an inconvenience.

The next time someone knocks on that door I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment