Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Yarn Along :: February 8


Busyness has reared it's ugly head lately and not much knitting or reading has gotten done. Instead it's been a time of trying to get it all done and not fall into the feeling of failure or comparison with others who seem to do it all. So, the knitting has fallen off to the side but I am in desperate need of picking it up again. It has become a way to relax, to relieve the stress, to create a bit of beauty in life. Praying fervently that all will fall into place and I can carve out some time for creating.

On a different note, our weather here has been bitterly cold (thank you Siberia) and I want to knit some toasty socks. Any easy patterns for a first time?

For more inspiration head to small things.


5 comments:

  1. Ah socks!!! I lvoe knitting socks! Use worsted weight and they will fly off your needles! I would also use http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/first-time-socks-150 I love Cabin Fever's patterns- they are written so clear. "not fall into the feeling of failure or comparison with others who seem to do it all" Ahh such a tender subject for all of us. I think we all fight that- please don’t envy other’s talents and don’t compare yours to others. You are who you are beautifully and wonderfully made! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh----beware!!!! You know once you start making socks, it's almost impossible to stop making them!!!??? (The problem often is, though, that they don't always match because there are so many fabulous patterns out there you want to make them all!!!!)
    The first socks I made, I used Joan Hamer's pattern, which I bet is now on ravelry--this was pre-rav days--and used worsted wt yarn. Great basic pattern. Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look for sock patterns that are "plain vanilla". Mu first socks were a pattern that I saw on Vicki Howell's show "Knitty Gritty". I can't find it, but it was a very easy pattern.

    I find knitting very relaxing, too. See if you can carve out some time for it. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find time this week to get back into knitting. Love the color of your project!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly recommend Silver's sock class - it's a free online tutorial, and it's how I learned to knit socks last fall: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

    It's so very, very helpful.

    ReplyDelete